Monday, May 29, 2006

Okra planted, time to sleep

Despite the heat and the possibility of taking catnaps on a much-needed day off, I worked in the garden. I have been working tirelessly in this garden since April, even though I know the odds are against me. Neighbor Bill has told me all about the farming difficulties here on Judy Branch. Soil is rocky and not very rich. Been over-farmed and strip mined to boot. Then you have the deer. Hundreds of deer roaming these parts, and the dogs don't do too much to keep them out of the garden. Even if you build a tall fence, you still have to reckon with the racoons, and possibly the groundhogs. If somehow you can manage to keep those out, then you've got the bugs and the soil problems. Somehow, though, he has done it. A real garden of Eden, just the next house up. He even has asparagus.

The last place I lived was on a river that flooded. After the flood, the garden only required that I drop seeds on the mud and cover them over. What a bounty! For two years I had more corn, okra and tomatos than I knew what to do with. More, even, than I could give away. To this day, I dread to think what kind of toxins were in that rich silt left by that flood. Whatever they were, they gave me three months supply of green tomotoes. And that's the only good thing I can remember about that place.

Today I finished my fence and planted okra. Last week I punctured my foot in a failed attempt to drive a T stake in the ground for my garden fence and learned one of the most important lessons in life: steel T stakes should NEVER be mistaken for pogo sticks. I'm stubbornly independent and I like a challenge. On the matter of the fence, these characteristics did not work toward my personal well being. I do hope that they will at least produce a good crop of okra.

No comments: